Results-driven Creative pro who builds innovative ideas into unique, best-selling products and strategies across diverse industries. Tools of the trade: A keen eye for design, a nose for trends, a passion for emerging technologies and a focus on compelling storytelling. Proven expertise in all stages of product development and project management—from concept to launch, within deadline and under budget. Expert ability to interpret market needs and motivate cross-functional teams to achieve measurable results. Dynamic communicator and pitch guru with strong editorial and multimedia presentation skills.
CAREER PROFILE AND HIGHLIGHTS
GIFTCRAFT, Brampton, ON
Giftware wholesaler, developing award-winning décor, tabletop, jewelry and brands for international
Creative Director, 2011-2012
Pinpointed opportunities for innovative new products and strategic growth through constant trend-hunting and market research. Pitched, design directed and developed over 1000 new SKUs/year, to support growth in all merchandise categories. Attended domestic and international trade shows in search of new merchandise and sourcing opportunities. Managed stable of in-house and freelance designers and graphic artists.
- Spearheaded development of proprietary artwork and brands, consistent top-sellers in every quarter.
- Developed exclusive products for Disney Consumer Products, Carlton Cards and Bed, Bath & Beyond.
- Built licensed artwork of Romero Britto into a $10M lifestyle giftware brand.
- Led company-wide brainstorming sessions to pinpoint strategic opportunities/launches each quarter.
- Shifted merchandising mix focus from market goods to proprietary products, increasing sales 15%.
- Published quarterly trend reports and look books to keep designers, merchandisers and sales force on top of current market and design trends.
MARKET MUSE CREATIVE
CONSULTING, Havertown, PA
Consultant supplying boutique creative, content, product and design services to diverse client base.
- Consulted on Northern Brewer’s social media, brand and marketing strategies. Helped launch White House Homebrew recipe kit, which got picked up by major news outlets, becoming instant top seller.
- Launched best-selling brands for Ashton Drake, The Bradford Exchange, Westland Giftware, The Concorde Collection and The Franklin Mint as a creative consultant.
- Ushered Nancy’s Notions, a 30-year-old public television craft show into modern era with a multimedia customer contact strategy that increased retail traffic 30% and catalog sales 25%.
- Doubled subscriber base of leading academic video and multimedia content provider through aggressive multi-channel promotional campaign designed around seamless user experience.
- Developed and launched top-selling new product lines in the growing Craft and DIY industries, including a comprehensive strategy targeting a new audience of wholesalers.
THE FRANKLIN MINT, Franklin Center, PA
Direct marketer of luxury goods, collectibles, licensed products, giftware, jewelry and home décor.
Director, Product Design and Development, 2006-2010
Developed 1000+ new product concepts per year for jewelry, sculpture, dolls, die-cast models, coins, games and historical replica lines. Mentored staff of copywriters and designers. Instituted monthly brainstorming sessions, authored trend reports and pitched new products to senior executive staff.
- Rebuilt company’s Creative and Development capabilities from scratch to keep pace with the changing needs of the company during three different management regimes.
- Designed breakthrough product lines for jewelry and die-cast businesses with sales of over $25M.
- Increased upsells 45% through edutainment devices such as bonus DVDs and streaming mini-documentaries for key products.
- Drove the growth of top-selling lines in partnership with world-wide brands, such as Harley-Davidson, The Smithsonian, The Vatican Museums, Turner Entertainment, Hasbro and others.
- Designed broad menu of products for a Today’s Special Value offer on QVC which netted $2 million in sales in a single day.
Manager/Director, Concept Development, 1996-2003
- Launched four $20M product lines by identifying and targeting new customer bases – Male Fantasy, Female Fantasy, NASCAR and DIY Hobbyists.
- Doubled the size of the traditionally male Harley-Davidson collector base by launching a women’s jewelry line, with 10 best-selling suites in 2003.
- Cultivated core competency teams of researchers and concept designers with expertise in specific fields, which slashed development timelines by 40% and yielded stronger products.
- Won five Doll of the Year (DOTY) awards from Doll Reader Magazine.
PROGRESSIVE BUSINESS PUBLICATIONS, Malvern, PA
Leading publisher of business-to-business newsletters on compliance and employment topics.
Editor-in-Chief , 1994-1996
Wrote, edited and managed production for Safety Compliance Alert, a bi-weekly newsletter for workplace safety professionals. Covered industry convention beat and Fortune 1000 compliance leaders to craft fast-read, actionable content. Boosted subscription rate 45%. Copyedited four other newsletters and instituted editorial roundtable to leverage editorial staff with diverse backgrounds.
SOCIETY FOR INDUSTRIAL AND APPLIED MATHEMATICS, Phila., PA
Publisher of peer-reviewed academic research journals to advance the application of mathematics.
Editorial Assistant, 1994
Coordinated the academic review of manuscripts submitted for publication in four journals. Copyedited manuscripts and proofread galleys on works accepted for publication. Authored policy for incorporating email technology into editorial process, cutting review timeline by 65%.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY, Villanova, PA
Bachelor of Arts, English Literature and Communications • Magna Cum Laude • Recipient of the Edward R. Murrow Medallion for excellence in Communications • Member of Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society • Associate Editor, The Villanovan newspaper
GE Work-Out Team Participant; DISC Team Building; Proficient in Mac, PC, Quark XPress, Macromedia Fireworks and Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Word.